Friday, February 8, 2013

What It's Like Filing for Unemployment

 Call me cocky, but filing for unemployment is something I never thought I'd have to do.

I'm 33, and up until now, I'd never been let go from a job. I know I'm a good employee, and my bosses tend to love me because I am insanely organized -- and who ever wants to let someone like that go?

Well, someone did, and so today I found myself on the New York State Department of Labor site answering questions about whether I left my job voluntarily and if I earned more than $402 in the last week. The process was easy, and (good tip forthcoming!) didn't even require half the paperwork it forewarned gathering before starting. They even offer direct deposit! So there went my visions of waiting in line in some drab, DMV-like office with my unemployed brethren, and I couldn't have been more relieved.

Why? Because I'm ashamed. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I know the layoff wasn't personal, but it feels like it was, and I often wonder what I could have done differently in order to have kept my job. (Even if it is a bit of relief to no longer be working 15-hour days, I would have preferred to be the one initiating the leaving.)

I should know by now that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, and so doing something like filing for unemployment should in a way come as no surprise.

To that end, here's is a list of some other things I think I will never do in my lifetime, so life, if you're reading this, you can thank me later for making your job easy enough so that you don't find yourself on the unemployment line. 

5 Things I Will Never Do: 
  • Go to Russia 
  • Have a boy 
  • Be a size 00
  • Win the lottery 
  • Kiss Jake Gyllenhaal
I wonder: Is there anything, positive or negative, that you never thought you'd do but ended up doing?

Photo: Rockford Register

No comments:

Post a Comment