Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oh, Hello Again

So a week in and I've already reneged on my promise to write every day. (Which I've thought about multiple times editing to "almost" every day.)

Truth be told, I've been surprisingly busy for being unemployed. (In fact, I'm trying to finish this blog post in the 12 minutes it's taking to hard-boil some eggs.) Here's what I have been doing:
  • Freelancing 
  • Applying for jobs 
  • Meeting up with old colleagues for coffee and clarity 
Here's what I haven't been doing:
  • Blogging 
  • Keeping up with my gratitude journal 
  • Cooking for my husband like I had hoped when this extra time was bestowed upon me 
(Yeah, I know. I'm bummed about the gratitude journal, too, because I heard how it inspired so many of you. But I plan to get back to it tonight. That I promise.)

What I'm realizing (and what I'm currently struggling with) is that I have to make a decision. Spending four hours each morning job hunting, customizing cover letters and sending out resumes followed by eight hours of sending out pitches and working on freelance assignments has me working like I'm back at a startup. And I don't like it. So I need to choose: Am I going to pursue a full-time job, or am I going to pursue freelance? Freelance is appealing because of the flexibility, and the fact that it would truly afford me the chance to get back to basics, like I'm so badly claiming to want. A full-time job, on the other hand, will afford me a steady salary which would inevitably put me at ease.

So, I wonder: What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment