Sunday, March 3, 2013

March, I'm So Glad You're Here

Yes sir, that's the life

That's actually the lead lyric for one of my favorite songs by The Reputation:
"March I'm so glad you're here/where have you been all my life/it's funny how everyone acts like this has never happened before"
For the last few years, February has been a mixed bag of personal highs and lows, with particularly significant events occurring on Leap Day. I'm not sure why February is filled with kickers for me, but that seems to be the trend as of late. So after a particularly trying month, I was lucky enough to have a husband who realized I -- we -- needed a break, and so we jetted off to San Juan, Puerto Rico, for a few days, hence the radio silence on the blog, loyal readers.

The vacation, however short, was everything I needed: the only thing on the agenda was that there was no agenda, and for the first time in a long time, I could simply do nothing.

Because despite being laid off, "nothing" certainly isn't something I've been doing much of in these last few weeks since the news broke -- and it's paid off. It seems the career crisis the lay off caused has righted itself for the time being: Beginning this week, I start a part-time editing gig filling in for someone on maternity leave. Barring any more unexpected bombs, I have a bit of security for the next four months, which has put me a little at ease (and allotted me more time to figure things out).

So while I was loathe to end a vacation that warmed me in more ways than one, I knew that once it was over, March would be here, and for that, I am glad.

As for February? You can eff off for the next 11 months.

Photo: Me

I wonder: Is there a particular month you find trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment